My photo
Doha, Qatar
I have been an overseas teacher living in Kuwait for the past nine years. Recently, I have been hired to teach at Qatar Academy just outside of Doha. I love to learn, spend time with friends & family, listen to music, travel, laugh, and work out. But, most importantly as Eckhart Tolle says, & quote; "I am spirit having a human experience." (and having a wonderful time!)

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

New York Wine Country






This past weekend, I had the pleasure of returning to the Cayuga Lake wine trail which is located in the Finger Lakes region of NY. If you look on a map, Cayuga Lake is one of the bigger of the lakes and as you proceed down the trail, you end up in Ithaca NY which is a really cool city as I found out.
Getting back to Cayuga Lake... One of the things that I love about that area in general is that it is all about farming. It contains wineries, orchards, grain fields as well as corn everywhere you look. The land is rugged, yet pure... as if you were going back in time. Life moves at a slower pace which is welcoming when you are on vacation.
One of the wineries I enjoyed in particular was the Knapp family winery. We had a wonderful server who was an elderly, retired, gentleman and just as sweet as can be. He made our experience there that much better with his honesty, warmth, and conversation. The Knapp winery specializes in Riesling wines (which we bought a bottle of) and makes a killer red table wine which I purchased as well. Although I am not a big wine drinker (or drinker of alcohol in general), I still like to have a glass of red wine from time to time. When you live in a dry country for as long as I have, it is nice to be able to even buy a bottle of wine. As my friend Regina says, "I want the right to be able to say 'no'!"
It had been about 15 years since I had visited the wineries and it may just be another 15 years until I go back. Yet, I enjoyed my time there and each time I return, I learn just a little bit more about wine.

No comments:

Me

Me
Powered By Blogger